Beckman Scholars Program Requirements and Application
- Pursuing a B.S. degree in one of the following research subject areas:
- Cell Biology
- Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology
- Must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- Sophomore standing or 2 years from B.S. degree completion
- Have and maintain a GPA of 3.7 or above.
- Plans to pursue a Ph.D. or similar advanced science degree.
- If selected, a commitment to work in a designated research mentor's laboratory for 15 months, including two full summers (40 hours/week) and a minimum of 10 hours per week during the academic year.
- Submit a completed application.
Application materials will include:
- An up-to-date resume
- Two letters of recommendation
If a student has previous undergraduate research experience, one letter should come from the faculty research mentor.
- Unofficial college transcripts to verify GPA and major eligibility
- Essay describing relevant academic and research accomplishments and career goals
- Identify the potential faculty mentor from the available mentor pool. If you are not already performing research in a designated faculty mentor’s lab, you are encouraged to meet with several potential faculty mentors from the designated list prior to submission to gauge compatible research interests. If selected as a scholar, you will be required to develop a detailed research plan with the guidance of your chosen mentor.