Beckman Scholars Program Requirements and Application
- Pursuing a B.S. degree in one of the following major subject areas:
- Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology
- Must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- Sophomore standing or 2 years from B.S. degree completion.
- Have and maintain a GPA of 3.5 or above.
- Plans to pursue a Ph.D. or similar advanced science degree.
- If selected, a commitment to work in a designated research mentor's laboratory for 15 months, including two full summers (40 hours/week) and a minimum of 10 hours per week during the academic year.
- Submit a completed application.
Prior to submitting an application you need to identify a faculty mentor from the approved list and begin working with them to develop a research plan. If you are not already performing research in an approved mentor’s lab, you are encouraged to meet with several potential faculty mentors from the list to gauge compatible research interests. If selected as a Beckman Scholar, you and your mentor will expand your research plan to include specific objectives and a proposed timeline.
Application Materials will include
- An up-to-date resume
- Two confidential letters of recommendation. One of the letters must be from your selected mentor.
- Unofficial transcript to verify GPA and major eligibility
- An essay describing relevant academic and research accomplishments and career goals
- A brief research plan developed in cooperation with your selected mentor